Welcome to the National Make it with Wool Website!
WHAT ARE THE OBJECTIVES?
- To promote the beauty and versatility of wool fabrics and yarns.
- To encourage personal creativity in sewing, knitting and crocheting with wool fabrics and yarns.
- To recognize creative skills
- To develop life skills, including:
being responsible for one's self,
being a good sport,
accepting judge's decisions, and
learning about and appreciating
WHO CAN ENTER?
- Preteens, age 12 and under
- Juniors, ages 13-16
- Seniors, ages 17-24
- Adults, age 25 and older
The category you enter will be determined by your age as of December 31 of entry year.
Anyone regardless of race, creed or sex who meets age and other guidelines may participate. Contestants must select, construct and model their own garments. Made for others entries: the intended wearer must model garments.
What can I enter?
Juniors, Seniors, Adults and Made for others may enter:
One piece garments: dress, jumpers, lined outwear jackets, coats and capes
Two Piece garments: lined outwear coats, jackets or capes
Blouse/shirt, vest, and/or sweater with dress, jumper, skirt, pants or shorts.
Ensemble- 3 or more garments worn together at one time
Pre-teens may enter: Dress, jumpers, skirt, pants, shorts, vest, sweaters, shirt/blouse, jacket or a combination of garments.
Made for others and wearable Accessory-
District and State levels only.
Contact state director for specific details.
WHAT FABRICS/YARNS CAN I USE?
- 100% wool or wool blend (minimum of 60% wool or specialty fiber)
for each fashion fabric or yarn used. Specialty wool fibers include
mohair, cashmere, alpaca, camel, and llama
- The entire garment body (back, front and sleeves) must be wool or wool-blend fabric.
- Trims, facings, linings, interfacings and underlinings may be fabrics other than wool or wool blends.
HOW CAN I ENTER?
-You may participate in one district or state competition each year in the state where you live.
-See the state contact list for your state's information.
-You may enter more than one garment, using a separate form for each entry.
-Past National Junior and Senior winners may not compete again in the same age division.
-Past National Adult photo winner may not compete
again for 3 years.
-Complete and mail attached entry form as directed,
with non-refundable national fee: $12
-Attach a 5"x5" sample of each
fabric or knitted, crocheted or woven swatch, to each entry form. Some states may also charge a variable fee- be sure to check with the state director about this.
WHAT ARE THE JUDGING CRITERIA?
- Appropriateness to contestant's lifestyle
- Coordination of fabric/yarn with garment style and design
- Contestant's presentation
- Construction quality
- Judging is private and the judges' decision is final.
WHAT ARE THE PRIZES?
- Junior and Senior state winners advance to the National Competition.
- Adult state winners send 5"x7" photos and DVD(maximum 3
minutes) of themselves wearing garments to national photo competition.
National Adult winner receives a trip to model in the National
- Fabrics, sewing books, equipment and notions are awarded at State and National levels.
- Scholarships are awarded at National level:
$ 2,000 American Sheep Industry Women (Junior & Senior Winners)
$ 1,000 Pendleton Woolen Mills (Junior Winner)
$ 1,000 American Wool Council Fashion/Apparel Design
SPECIAL NATIONAL AWARDS:
- Exemplary Construction -- Creative Craft Group/Sew News Magazine
- Machine Embroidery -- Creative Craft Group/Creative Machine Embroidery Magazine
- Use of Claire Shaeffer's "Custom Collection" Pattern from Vogue Pattern Company -- Claire Shaeffer
- Use of a "Wild Ginger" Software Pattern -- Wild Ginger Software, Inc.
- Outstanding Needlework Award- Jennings Family Fibers
- 4 Mohair awards -Mohair Council of America/Mohair producers.
WHERE CAN I PURCHASE WOOL OR WOOL-BLEND FABRICS?
Local fabric stores
- Mail-order resources
- Internet sites
- Resource listings: sewing magazines, ASI Web site, Mohair Council of America, State Directors
HOW CAN I BE CERTAIN MY FABRICS/YARNS ARE WOOL?
Please note-Finishes and other natural fibers may affect the test results.
- Contact state directors to arrange for testing at an approved fabric testing laboratory
- Additional testing will be done prior to the state and national contests.
For additional information, send questions and a self-addressed, stamped envelope to:
National Make It With Wool Competition
Lavina, MT 59046