College Students enrolled in Fashion or Apparel Design create an original garment design (flat pattern, draping or CAD) and then sew, knit, crochet or felt the garment(s) using wool fabrics, fibers and/or yarns.
FABRIC/ FIBER/ YARN REQUIREMENTS/ FABRIC TESTING
1. Obtain entry form and official rules from school representative or download from this website.
2.Send one copy of completed Entry Form with a $12 Entry Fee for each garment category and 1 (one) 5” x 5” sample of each fabric used; or 36” length of each yarn used.
Check payable to:
Advisor must sign the entry form
480 South 300 West
Salem, Utah 84653
Must be postmarked by November 1, 2023 and reach the Coordinator by November 7, 2023.
Part 2-Submit completed Portfolio containing:
1. A second copy of the entry form
2. 2 (two) 5” X 5” samples of each fabric used; or 36” length of each yarn used- Fabric pieces may be sewn together to obtain required size. Yarns and fibers must be knitted, crocheted or felted to create a 5” X 5” sample
3. Design presentation boards with sketches showing various angles of garment(s)at least 8 1/2 “ X 11” and not larger than 11” X 14”
4. Description of garment(s) and accessories (if accessories are made of wool and are handmade)
5. Description of design method/ process used (flat pattern/ CAD/ draping, or combination)
6. Four 5” x 7” photos showing front, back, right side, and left side of garment(s) worn by
7. 90-second video (Jump Drive) of the garment(s) worn and styled by participant/model
- Begin with garment front, show back and sides of garment
- Include close-ups showing design and construction details, fit, etc.
- NO commentary, music or artistic camera angles.
Participant’s name must NOT be attached to any item in the portfolio.
Attach a cover page for the Fashion/ Apparel Design Coordinator with the following information only:
(Judges will NOT see this information)
1. Participant name, home and school addresses, date of birth, email address, phone number(s)
2.Name of College/ University
3.Major and Minor (when applicable) course of study
4.Advisor’s name, school address, email, and phone number(s).
2023 NATIONAL FASHION DESIGN / APPAREL WINNER
Estefania Espindola, First Place Winner