College Students enrolled in Fashion or Apparel Design create an original garment design (flat pattern, draping or CAD) and then sew, knit, crochet or felt the garment(s) using wool fabrics, fibers and/or yarns.
FABRIC/ FIBER/ YARN REQUIREMENTS/ FABRIC TESTING
1. Obtain entry form and official rules from school representative or online here.
2.Send top copy of completed Entry Form with a $12 Entry Fee for each garment category plus $7 per each fabric used for testing (includes fee for fabric testing) and 2 (two) 5” X 5” samples of each fabric used; or 36” length of each yarn used. Subject to change.
Check payable to:
Advisor must sign the entry form
Mail to: National MIWW, PO Box 215,
Encampment, WY 82325
Must be postmarked by November 1st
Part 2-Submit completed Portfolio containing:
1. A second copy of the entry form
2. 2 (two) 5” X 5” samples of each fabric used; or 36” length of each yarn used- Fabric pieces may be sewn together to obtain required size. Yarns and fibers must be knitted, crocheted or felted to create a 5” X 5” sample
3. Design presentation boards with sketches showing various angles of garment(s)at least 8 1/2 “ X 11” and not larger than 11” X 14”
4. Description of garment(s) and accessories (if accessories are made of wool and are handmade)
5. Description of design method/ process used (flat pattern/ CAD/ draping, or combination)
6. 5” X 7” or 8” X 10” photos showing front and back of garment(s) worn by participant/ model- Some helpful tips- Plain, uncluttered background is recommended Light background for dark garments and dark background for light garments
7. 90 second video (on DVD or Jump Drive) of the garment worn and styled by participant/model
- Begin with garment front, show back and sides of garment
- Include close-ups showing design and construction details, fit, etc.
- NO commentary, music or artistic camera angles.
Participant’s name must NOT be attached to any item in the portfolio.
Attach a cover page for the Fashion/ Apparel Design Coordinator with the following information only:
(Judges will NOT see this information)
1. Participant name, home and school addresses, date of birth, email address, phone number(s)
2.Name of College/ University
3.Major and Minor (when applicable) course of study
4.Advisor’s name, school address, email, and phone number(s).